Why We Love This Recipe:
A little bit healthy and a whole lot delicious! You can vary the size by using an ice cream scoop or rolling and cutting into triangles.
Prep (20 min) | Cook (15 min) | Ready In (35 min) | Servings (16)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup turbinado sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 sticks cold butter (1 cup)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda in the bowl of a food processor.
- Cut the butter into pieces and add to the bowl.
- Pulse about 20 times until the butter is well cut in and smaller than pea-sized.
- Transfer to a work bowl and add the rolled oats and orange zest.
- Add the buttermilk and toss gently, working just until a rough dough forms.
- Scoop the dough with an ice-cream scoop onto the parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake 15 minutes until set and lightly browned.
Additional Tips & Notes:
- For a sweet crunch, sprinkle scones with additional turbinado sugar before baking.
- To dress them up, combine the juice of the orange that you zested with powdered sugar and drizzle glaze over scones once cooled.